In English it is quite common to use the expression "to get the chair" to refer to the death penalty. For example:

He committed such a terrible crime, I hope he gets the chair. *

The word 絞首刑, "death by hanging", is the only Japanese word I know in this regard. Is there any slang (such as "to get the rope") that can be used to indicate someone who was/will be sentenced to death?

* This example is by no means related to me being in favor or against the death penalty.

Not slang, but there's 死刑, which is at at least more common/colloquial than 絞首刑. eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=%E6%AD%BB%E5%88%91 – Mindful Aug 27 '18 at 3:51
  • @Mindful yes I know 死刑. I'm asking if there is some slang or "colorful expression" to refer to it. – Tommy Aug 27 '18 at 3:53
  • 縛り首? But it's too anachronistic to be used in the 21st century IMO... – broccoli forest Aug 27 '18 at 4:43
  • @broccoliforest thanks, but in what sense you say it's anachronistic? – Tommy Aug 27 '18 at 7:52
  • @Tommy that you'd sound as if in a period drama. – broccoli forest Aug 27 '18 at 8:17

There might be yakuza slang for it, but there isn’t a common phrase for it. My gut feeling is that death just isn’t something Japanese joke about as much as eg Americans do.

• 死ね is used commonly by many people who chat. – JACK Aug 21 at 18:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.