I want to confirm a few things here

A「はいはい、わかったよ。ホントにいつでもいいから、気が向いたときに返してくれ」(B is insisting that she will definitely return the money ~50k yen)

B「今、その……気持ちだけでも! 今はええっと……三千と、一円ならあるよ!」

A もしかして俺が貸した金、まだ手をつけてないのか?

A「いいよ、ホント。自分の金は大事にしまっとけって」

B「じゃあ一円……?」

A 「いやいらねーから!」

B 「一円玉だって、コツコツ貯めれば結構貯まるもん!」

A: ok ok, i get it, its all good, return it whenever you can/feel like it

B: want to return some now , i got... 3k and 1 yen ? (i'm not sure how to read 気持ちだけでも here)

A(internally): could it be, she hasn't spent any of the money i lent her yet? (then how does she only have 3001 yen?)

A: its fine, really, take care of your own money.

B: then how about 1 yen...

A: NO, not needed

B: even if it's one yen (at a time?), if i diligently save, I'll save alot (at this point i know i've lost something from the 三千と、一円ならあるよ line but i don't know what it is)

I'm probably not reading 今、その……気持ちだけでも! 今はええっと……三千と、一円ならあるよ! right, but can't pin it down.

Thank you

気持ち can mean "a little something to show my feeling/honesty/gratitude". For example, 気持ちばかりのものですが and 気持ちです are humble set phrases you can use when you present something. In this context, 気持ちだけでも means "(although the amount of money is small,) I at least want to show the will to return the money (by paying a part of the debt now)!"

• Ah that would make more sense since she definitely didn't already spend all the money. – charu Aug 27 '18 at 3:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.