I could not find anything on this website nor with a (quick I admit) search on Google.

Does Japanese have any "yes phrase" (or more technically rhetorical affirmation) used to answer questions whose answer is supposed to be an obvious "yes"? Such as:

Does a bear sh*t in the woods?

Is the pope catholic?

In fact, these expressions are so common in English that you can often find them twisted in comical ways:

Is the Space Pope reptilian? (Futurama)

Is the atomic weight of Cobalt 58.9? (Ghostbusters II)

Given that sarcasm is generally is not a typical trait of Japanese people, maybe something like this doesn't exist. Or does it? Anything similar?

This famous phrase from a manga instantly came to my mind, but probably this was created intentionally so that it would sound like a "typical American joke", and I don't think it's used outside otaku communities. I could not think of a more traditional expression similar to this. A classic set expression for "obviously true" is 火を見るより明らか (mainly used in written Japanese), but this does not sound sarcastic or humorous at all.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.