MC:「部活か? 夏休み中なのにお前の調理部午前中から張り切りすぎだろ」

妹:「部活は部活だけど、最近はウチ料理しないで手芸部と化してるから。今みんなで羊毛フェルトにハマってるの」

Context: breakfast table, mc, and his sister and parents

I'm having a hard time relating not cooking at home with a change to an arts and crafts club, let alone why everyone is a fit for wool felt.

After this his sister just says goodbye and leaves.

What is she trying to say?

• She confirmed she was going to do "club activities of 調理部" in this morning.
  • But the club members no longer do cooking these days, and they are now virtually 手芸部. (EDIT: This うち is an informal way of saying "our club (or office/team/class/etc)")
  • Therefore, what she is actually going to do in the morning is not 調理 but 手芸.

The part after から has been omitted, but the omitted final part is the main implication of her first sentence. (But how did you come up with "not cooking at home"? Is the club activity going to take place in their home, or did she refuse to prepare breakfast this day?)

This ~にハマる means "to be caught up in ~" or "to devote oneself in ~".

• home was the first thing i thought of. She cooked breakfast that morning. i think the entire statement is more whimsical than anything else now that i look at it – charu Aug 23 '18 at 1:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.