I've met a word 駄女 だおんな though not sure if wrote it well in kanji. Can I use this 駄 with other words? For example, like 駄先輩 or 駄宏 (with the name of a man)? Are there words that suit this scheme most and those, that can not be used for any conditions? Could you please provide some examples?

Did you run into 駄女 in writing or in speech? – snailboat Aug 22 '18 at 16:19
  • @snailboat in speech. So maybe mistaken with a kanji. – botichelli Aug 22 '18 at 16:20
    You sure it wasn't ダメ女? – kuchitsu Aug 22 '18 at 17:52
  • @kuchitsu pretty sure, as ダメ is often used, so I probably wouldn't notice. – botichelli Aug 22 '18 at 17:58

Having lived in Japan all my life, I have never seen or heard the word 「駄女」, so I could at least assure you that it would not be a common word at all even if you have actually seen/heard it used. (I highly doubt that you have encountered the word in real life.)

Can I use this 駄 with other words? For example, like 駄先輩 or 駄宏 (with the name of a man)?

Again, never seen/heard 駄先輩 or "駄 + personal name" -- never.

「駄{だ}」 simply is not used as a prefix to random words. It is basically only used in a fixed group of words to mean "cheap", "low-value", "low-quality", etc.

Most common among those words would include:

駄菓子{だがし} (cheap confectionary)

駄賃{だちん} (small amount of money given to kids for running errands) This word is becoming more uncommon by the decades.

駄じゃれ (boring pun)

駄馬{だば} (workhorse, horse of inferior breed)

駄 in established words such as 駄馬, 駄文 and 駄菓子 clearly means "bad" or "cheap", but it's basically not a productive prefix, and you should not attach it to an arbitrary word. In particular, you can never attach it to a proper noun like 宏 (although something like ダメ宏 is occasionally heard).

That said, 駄 is occasionally used by native speakers as a slangy/nonstandard prefix; for example I have seen 駄ゲー ("trashy game") more than a few times. If you absolutely sure you heard だおんな, it should mean "bad woman", as you suspected. (Still, I feel there is a high chance you misheard something...) I won't be surprised if a native speaker used 駄先輩 in a blog article, but it should be fairly rare.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.