On page 8, this sentence appears inside a thought / narration bubble from the lead female character:

きのう奥さんの叔父さんて人から病院に電話あったの。

After juggling with Google Translate, I believe the character is saying that yesterday the uncle's wife received a phone call from a man.

Then I am lost. Was the phone call made to a hospital? There is no previous mention of the uncle's wife being in a hospital. Or was a person from the hospital calling? If the latter then what's the に after 病院 for?

Here is that page from the free preview on ebookjapan.jp: i.imgur.com/gvBhTlG.png We can see that the voice is actually coming out of the phone (hence the bubbles are differently shaped). – kuchitsu Aug 20 '18 at 20:51

きのう奥さんの叔父さんて人から病院に電話あったの
yesterday the uncle's wife received a phone call from a man.

奥さんの叔父さん is "the wife's uncle", not "the uncle's wife". The て (or って) is a casual appositive particle (≂ という). 奥さんの叔父さんて人 literally means "a person who is the wife's uncle", or "a man who calls himself the wife's uncle".

So the sentence is basically saying: "Yesterday, there was a phone call to the hospital from the wife's uncle." / "I received a phone call at the hospital from the wife's uncle."

The main character's older sister works at a hospital and is telling her on the phone that she had received a phone call at the hospital from the wife's uncle. The wife is their father's second wife. 

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.