On page 8, this sentence appears inside a thought / narration bubble from the lead female character:

きのう奥さんの叔父さんて人から病院に電話あったの。

After juggling with Google Translate, I believe the character is saying that yesterday the uncle's wife received a phone call from a man.

Then I am lost. Was the phone call made to a hospital? There is no previous mention of the uncle's wife being in a hospital. Or was a person from the hospital calling? If the latter then what's the に after 病院 for?

Here is that page from the free preview on ebookjapan.jp: i.imgur.com/gvBhTlG.png We can see that the voice is actually coming out of the phone (hence the bubbles are differently shaped). – kuchitsu Aug 20 '18 at 20:51

きのう奥さんの叔父さんて人から病院に電話あったの
yesterday the uncle's wife received a phone call from a man.

奥さんの叔父さん is "the wife's uncle", not "the uncle's wife". The て (or って) is a casual appositive particle (≂ という). 奥さんの叔父さんて人 literally means "a person who is the wife's uncle", or "a man who calls himself the wife's uncle".

So the sentence is basically saying: "Yesterday, there was a phone call to the hospital from the wife's uncle." / "I received a phone call at the hospital from the wife's uncle."

The main character's older sister works at a hospital and is telling her on the phone that she had received a phone call at the hospital from the wife's uncle. The wife is their father's second wife. 

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy