In studies on contemporary Japanese culture, they use "Gemu Otaku" in the sense of "video game nerd", "game freak".

1. Is this an academic term only or do people actually use this term in Japanese everyday speak?
  2. I was wondering, how is it spelled correctly? Or at least commonly? Many sources read "Gemu Otaku", Google Translate spits out "Gēmuotaku" or Gēmu no otaku".
  3. How is it written in actual Japanese, i.e., not romanized?
  1. It's not an academic term but a slangy word, at least to the ears of ordinary Japanese people. You can use it in everyday slangy speech, but real hardcore gamers often abbreviate it as ゲーオタ ("gēota") in a net forum or such. If some foreign researchers are using it as an academic word, well, that's not my concern. See: Types of Otaku

2. There are several ways of romanizing Japanese. Both "Gemu Otaku" and "Gēmuotaku" are correct, but you should be using the same system throughout your work. If you're not sure, my recommendation is Hepburn system.

3. In katakana, ゲームオタク. (There is another nonstandard spelling, ゲームヲタク, which looks even more slangy.)

• Thank you so much. Regarding the romanized version, your link introduces yet another version ("Geemu..."). Tell me, please, of all the versions, which would you say is the "the most common", i.e., the one most people would agree upon? – Werner Dübelnann Aug 20 '18 at 18:59
  • @WernerDübelnann Hepburn is the most natural-looking system to English speakers. But if previous researchers in your field are using another system, you may want to follow it. – naruto Aug 20 '18 at 19:08
  • Hepburn would be "Gemu Otaku" I suppose? Is this the most used form? – Werner Dübelnann Aug 20 '18 at 19:10
  • @WernerDübelnann Yes, "gemu otaku" seems fine to me. (You don't have to capitalize since it's just a common noun) – naruto Aug 20 '18 at 19:11
  • Okay, last question, I promise. Would you capitalize if it were used as a brand name? Maybe "Gemu otaku" or even "Gemu Otaku". And what romanization technique did Google use when they came up with "Gēmuotaku"? – Werner Dübelnann Aug 20 '18 at 19:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.