I used Google translate and used the following translation provided by Google for 'possibly' in a letter I wrote

可能性もある kanōsei mo aru

Later I tried looking up the word in the dictionary, and couldn't find it. All I found was kanō 可能, the first two kanji, then looked up the third kanji sei 性 which means 'sex'. So that 可能性もある would translate into 'possibility of sex'? I've already sent the letter, without realizing. Will a Japanese person interpret 可能性もある like this?

No, 可能性 is definitely a word, and it means 'possibility'. Also you're interpreting the 'sex' there wrong - it's sex as in 'male and female', not as in 'intercourse'. – Aeon Akechi Aug 16 '18 at 13:21
    ~可能性もある is also a very common phrase meaning 'there is a possibility that ~'. – Aeon Akechi Aug 16 '18 at 13:24
    I want to think this is a joke, since searching for either the romaji spelling or the kanji in google result in obvious webpage hits for kanousei ;p – ericfromabeno Aug 16 '18 at 13:25
  • Yeah, seems like an attempt at a joke. – Leebo Aug 16 '18 at 14:08

Here ~性【せい】 is an ending similar to -(i)ty, -ness, -cy. For matters of illustration,

可能 + 性 = 可能性 ↔ possible + -(i)ty = possibility

安全 + 性 = 安全性 ↔ secure + -(i)ty = security

Indeed, 性 can also mean "gender" (although it cannot mean sexual intercourse), but this is not how 性 is used in 可能性, and no "Japanese person" would misunderstand this.

• oh that's good then. if the final character were separated with a space, would it be read differently? – charles Aug 18 '18 at 10:53
  • There are no spaces in standard Japanese. – Earthliŋ Aug 18 '18 at 12:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.