How would you say "I hate change" in Japanese? I feel like 「私は変更を憎みます」 would just sound like a bad google translation.


For (abstract) "change", 変化 henka seems to be the better choice.

For "hate" (or "dislike"), there are also

  • 嫌【いや】です
  • 嫌い【きらい】です
  • 大嫌い【だいきらい】です

憎む is a "bigger" word, like "despise" or "detest". Since "hate" is quite a simple word, I would go with


  • Might 変革 also work? – BJCUAI Aug 14 '18 at 21:50
  • 1
    @user27280 変革 refers to a good but drastic change. 変革が嫌い works, but it means someone dislikes even good changes. – naruto Aug 15 '18 at 10:00
  • Thanks. I was conflating it with 'progress', which can have a negative connotation to those who prefer the status quo. – BJCUAI Aug 15 '18 at 16:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.