Background

I am currently studying Japanese grammar at a beginner's level. Yes, I am familiar with Hiragana but I have not quite learnt Katakana yet. Obviously, I know Romaji and hardly much Kanji.

Problem

However, I came across the formal and informal way of using "suki" (すき). I know "desu" is required if you were to say to your boss "I like apples" but is "da" really necessary for informal? I mean, is it as polite if you went without it? Is it grammatically correct or right to go without it?

For example, what's the difference between りんごが好き ("I like apples") and and with だ on the end (sentence + grammatical particle perhaps?) 🍎

"りんごが好"... did you mean "りんごが好き"? – naruto Aug 13 '18 at 12:25

I think that sukida is more casual, whereas suki have a sense of lightheartedness to it. Just my personal opinion:P

• Aw, thank you. So, I would use sukida with friends, right? Maybe suki with family, even if they are not Japanese. <3 XD – Steve Woods Aug 13 '18 at 14:00

Including sentence-final だ is a marker of blunt-style speech, typical of males. The alternate without だ is more apt to be used in feminine/gentle speech.

For more detail on this particular nuance, see this question:

Is "da" used often in the casual speech?

And for information about other patterns typical of blunt/gentle speech styles, see this question:

What differences should I look out for between male vs female speech?

• My masculine side and my feminine side. Thank you for the response! So, it's less polite and more informal, right? – Steve Woods Aug 13 '18 at 14:06
    Casual speech is not polite in any case (though that doesn't preclude it from having 敬語, which can add humble/honorific/neutral politeness to speech). Neither 好き nor 好きだ is "polite," and neither is more polite than the other; though 好き, compared to 好きだ , is less abrasive/blunt. If you want to be polite, use distal style, e.g. 好きです. – weirdalsuperfan Aug 13 '18 at 14:10

Well, 好き{すき} could be translated as "something that someone likes" (it means "to like" but it's an adjective). So if you want to say "I like apples" you must say りんごが好{す}きです. だ is the informal version of です. If you are with your friends, you should say りんごが好き{すき}だ. But sometimes people (particularly women) skip だ when talking in colloquial speech. So you could leave it in りんごが好き{すき}.

To summarise, 好き{すき} is an adjective, that may be alone (informal, femenine), with だ (informal in general) or with です (formal).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.