like as an example: if i forgot the name of a song but i remembered part of it, so i said "zenryoku something" (i say something because i don't know what comes after zenryoku), would 「全力」なんとか be an appropriate translation?

sorry if i tagged this wrong, this is my first time asking on this forum.

Yes, 「なんとか」 is often used as a replacement word when the actual word has slipped one's mind.

「全力{ぜんりょく}なんとか」 is what you would say when you cannot remember the word that follows the 「全力」. You can use it the exact same way you would use "something" in English.

Informally and/or colloquially, some people use 「なんちゃら」 for the same purpose.

You will also hear 「なにがし」 at times almost exclusively replacing parts of proper nouns. 「なにがし」 is not informal.

Finally, I would like to introduce the whole other usage of the replacement 「なんとか」 that I feel would be important for Japanese-learners to be familiar with. That is 「なんとか」 used for a "replacement" for the word that you so clearly remember. It is used for replacing a word in a well-known saying for euphemism.

Original vs. なんとか-version.

・「バカのひとつ覚{おぼ}え」⇒「なんとかのひとつ覚え」 ("One who knows little often repeats it".)

・「ブタに真珠{しんじゅ}」⇒「なんとかに真珠」 ("Cast not pearls before swine.")

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.