Take for instance the noun,

同棲組 which roughly means a group living together.

Does 同棲 always have a romantic connotation, or is it possible to use it in a non-romantic sense. For example, to describe a group of friends living together?

While the main contemporary usage is for non-married people with a romantic affiliation to be 'shacking up' together, this is not 100% definitive (see the Wikipedia page).

Other words exist (一緒に住む、同居) to indicate simple cohabitation, so for all intents and purposes, a romantic link would be implied (Weblio page).

In modern Japanese 同棲 almost always has a romantic connotation, but it is true that 同棲 was used like 同居 without romantic implication in the old days. In Aozora Bunko (library of old public-domain literary works), we can find examples like 「母と妹とは自分達夫婦と同棲するのが窮屈で」, 「一船は一家にして、父子同棲するも」 and 「妻子と同棲することには父の頑強な反対があった」. – naruto Aug 12 '18 at 9:44

Does 同棲 always have a romantic connotation, or is it possible to use it in a non-romantic sense.

I think it always has a romantic connotation... I've never heard it used in a non-romantic sense.

同棲組 which roughly means a group living together.

I think it's used to refer to "(the kind/group/category of) people who are living with their partner / choose to live with their partner rather than getting married".

For example, to describe a group of friends living together?

I don't think we use 同棲 to describe that...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.