Sometimes I come upon phrases like this:

俺旅芸人の一座にいたんだけどそれがあの盗賊どもに襲われちゃってさー

Where the て form is used at the end but not for a request. It doesn't seem to be one of those cases where the order of the words is simply "inverted" either, so what's the nuance behind the て form in this case?

Te-form at the end of a sentence can be:

1. Request marker
  2. Reason marker
  3. Simple "continuation" marker used to indicate the current story continues

In this case, it's 3. This te-form is used to keep the listener's attention by indicating this is not the end of his story and he has something more to say about it.

• I've seen it used in some instances where it was actually the end of the story though. Is it then similar to using けど or が at the end of a sentence or something? EDIT: Sorry, now that I think about it those would probably fit under the second definition. But couldn't my example fit under the second definition too? – xndfrr Aug 9 '18 at 3:52
  • @xndfrr It could be 2, if this is an explanation of some previous context (e.g. "You're severely injured! What happend!?") – naruto Aug 9 '18 at 4:00
  • I think that's the case then, he's providing context for how he ended up captured by a group of thieves. – xndfrr Aug 9 '18 at 4:03
  • Also, for the て to fall under the second definition does it have to be in the 「でして」,「…まして」,「…してしまって」 constructions or could it be used with just a regular て form? – xndfrr Aug 9 '18 at 4:06
  • Hey @naruto, apparently this is the source: geocities.jp/p_lilith_q/daihon/beruseruku1.htm – BJCUAI Aug 9 '18 at 6:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.