In this anime-esque example, which is correct?:

1. 私はあなたが殺す
  2. 私はあなたを殺す

And why? Because I’ve heard it used with number • 2 • を (wo), but other verbs seem to always use が, for example: 「私はエミリアが好きです」 Is 好き a noun in this context?

Both sentences are perfectly correct, but the meanings are totally different. Let's start with 殺す because it's a rather simple transitive verb which takes one subject and one object. Conclusion first, those two sentences translate to:

1. 私はあなたが殺す = You will kill me. / It's you who will kill me.
  2. 私はあなたを殺す = I will kill you.

In both sentences, 私 is marked with は. But Sentence 1 says "you kill me" and Sentence 2 says "I kill you". Why? Let's review the basic functions of は, が and を.

There are many exceptions, but these should be enough as a starter. In Sentence 1, the subject is clearly あなた because it's unequivocally marked with が. So 私 will be interpreted as the object of 殺す. In Sentence 2, the object is あなた because it's unequivocally marked with を. 私 will be interpreted as the subject of 殺す.

Regarding 私はエミリアが好きです, there is no verb in the first place because 好き is something called a na-adjective. For details, see: 私は猫が好き and 猫は私が好き

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.