I was doing some JLPT N@ practice, and I got this question wrong:

留学中は日本の言語や文学を学ぶ( )、自分の国のことも伝えていこうと考えている。

a 上

b のみならず

c ばかりか

I chose "a" while the correct answer is "b". According to my book, all three answer seem correct.

My book says that (only quoting the relevant parts):

〜上

前後には同じ評価の言葉が来る。

〜のみならず

「に限らず」と違って、同じレベルの他のものも同様だという場合にも使える。

〜ばかりか

〜だけでも十分なのに、さらに他のことも加わる。前の文で普通ではないことを言い、さらに後の文でも意外性を感じさせるのかのことを加える。

I thought it boils down to whether the former and latter half of the sentence are "at the sane level" or not, If they are, then 上 or のみならず. If the latter half is more "surprising" than the first half, then ばかりか. But still, why のみならず instead of 上?

What follows 上 must be greater things in the same field. e.g. 日本の言語や文学を学ぶ上(に)JLPT合格も目指す / 数学も学ぶ. In this regard, のみならず is versatile.

• I basically agree with your answer, but can you please explain further when 上(に)would apply but not のみならず? I think doing so will help the asker better understand. As for myself, 上(に)just doesn't feel right in the above example. I'm guessing the ~う form of the verb(学ぶ)has something to do with it. If it were ~が学べる、then 上(に)could apply. – DXV Aug 10 '18 at 7:17
  • (continuation) By the way ~伝えていこう should also be ~伝えていける in order for 上(に)to work in the above example, like this: 留学中は日本の言語や文学が学べる上(に)、自分の国のことも伝えていけると考えている。Just my guess.ネイティブの方に確認していただけると幸いです。 – DXV Aug 10 '18 at 8:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.