I am just now really diving into adjectives and how they work in Japanese. It was to my surprise that I heard 『楽{たの}しいそうなお祭{まつ}りね』 being used. Does the そう usage require な even for い adjectives?

• We don't say 楽しいそうなお祭り. Did you REALLY hear that said by a native speaker? – l'électeur Aug 7 '18 at 15:19
  • I don't remember who said it, but it very well could be by a student. What would you say instead? – ヤラユギ Aug 7 '18 at 15:20
    @ヤラユギ There are two different ways to add そう to an i-adjective with very different meanings. You probably meant 楽しそう rather than 楽しそう. – user3856370 Aug 7 '18 at 15:32

There are two things I would like to do as part of the answer to your question.

First, you may not have been aware that there was a mistake in your sentence. I will address that first.

You wrote:

楽{たの}しいそう

It should be:

楽{たの}しそう

For the formation of the そうだ grammar is as follows:

• Vmasu + そうだ
  • adj(i/na) stem + そうだ

Examples:

話しそう (verb)
楽しそう (i adjective)
静かそう (na adjective)

Source: A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar (See below)

Now for the question you acked. According to A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar (Seiichi Makino and Michio Tsutsui):

そうだ is a な-type adjective; The prenominal form is そうな. Examples:

高そうな車
taka souna kuruma
(A car which looks espensive (= an expensive looking car))

雨が降りそうな空
ame ga furi souna sora
(lit. the sky which looks like it will bring rain)

So to directly answer your question:

Does the そう usage require な even for い adjectives?

The answer is yes. Note that most of the time, you will find this formation at the end of a sentence requiring it to end with だ/です. However, if you plan on using this grammar as an adjective (i.e. you mean to use it to modify a noun), you should treat is as a na-type adjective.

Note: I included a link to the amazon listing of the book I used for my source. If you plan to purchase it, look around. I have definitely seen it sell for less.

If you're serious about Japanese then "A Dictionary of xxx Japanese Grammar" is a great investment. – user3856370 Aug 7 '18 at 15:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.