After taking some notes from various classes, I have come across some of the same translations:

好{す}きな音楽{おんがく}:Favorite Music

好{す}きな人{ひと}:Favorite person

etc.

Why would one use 好{す}き instead of 大好{だいす}き or 大事{だいじ}? Are all correct, and its just a personal choice? (with the occasional exception of 大事{だいじ}) Thanks!

• @Chcr Would you mind making that an answer and possibly expanding on why an individual would choose 大好き as opposed to 好き and vice-versa? – BJCUAI Aug 7 '18 at 2:18
    すき simply refers to whether you like something or not. It does not mean "favorite". As such, these questions can have more than one answer. If you wanted to ask for a single most favorite, I would suggest wording such as "一番好きな". – Halfway Dillitante Aug 7 '18 at 4:51
  • @Chcr Please don't write answers as comments. Answers in the comment section may be removed without notice. – snailplane Aug 8 '18 at 0:34

There are several ways to say favorite, e.g. 好き、大好き、お気{き}に入{い}り、大{だい}のお気{き}に入{い}り, etc. Use of either of these is a personal choice, but of course using a 大 would indicate a higher degree so 大好き>好き and 大のお気に入り>お気に入り as in the following examples:

好きな教科{きょうか}は理科{りか}と音楽{おんがく}です。

My favorite subjects are science and music.

算数{さんすう}も好きだが、社会{しゃかい}が大好きです。

I like arithmetic too, but social studies is my favorite.

高校時代{こうこうじだい}からロックが好きでした。特にGuns N' Rosesはその時の大のお気に入りのバンドでした。

I liked rock music since high school. In particular, Guns N' Roses was my most favorite band at the time.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.