I'm reading this article on how Amazon allowed their speaker to be used to donate to Japan's Red Cross. In the final sentence they get a quote from a Red Cross member, but I cannot make sense of the word 楽しみながら and the pairing of the word ほしい

I know ~ながら means while doing a verb and that ほしい is to express a want or desire. Also I believe ほしい can only be used to express one's own wants/desires. So I am not sure of my translation.

日本赤十字社の人は「今まで寄付をしたことがない人も、楽しみながら寄付をしてほしいです」と話しています。

My Translation: A member of Japan's Red Cross Society said "People who could not donate until now can also enjoy while wanting to donate"

Your assumption that ほしい can only be used to express your own desires is the problem here.

Verb in て-form + ほしい = Want someone to do verb

The person you want to do the verb (if they are mentioned) is marked by に, e.g.

私はゆきさんに日本語を教えてほしい。
I want Yuki to teach me Japanese.

Your sentence:

今まで寄付をしたことがない人も、楽しみながら寄付をしてほしいです
We want even people who've never donated before to have fun making a donation.

Note that the people they want to do action are not marked by に here because they have been promoted to the topic of the sentence (but with は replaced by も).

I would suggest "...make a donation and enjoy doing it" or at least "and have fun doing it" for 楽しみながら. It sounds too much like they are doing something unrelated that's fun and making a donation at the same time. – By137 Aug 6 '18 at 17:57
  • Fair point. Is it better now? – user3856370 Aug 6 '18 at 17:59

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.