From the manga Hunter x Hunter, one of the character's Japanese names is ウボォーギン. It looks like the ボ is getting its お sound elongated twice, with the small ォ and the ー. In English it gets translated as Uvogin, but I would have thought the name would be ウヴォーギン then.

Is ボォー the same as ぼ、お、う? Is that possible?

Or maybe is this a slight pronunciation difference, like か and きゃ?

• Did you notice both spellings? I searched and came up with both names! – JACK Aug 1 '18 at 17:51
    Yeah I found both too, but the Bo spelling is much more common than the Vo spelling, so it seems that japanese speakers find the first spelling valid... – OtheJared Aug 1 '18 at 17:55
    did you see ウボーギン too? – JACK Aug 1 '18 at 18:12
  • do you know the katakana for "volleyball"? :) – ericfromabeno Aug 1 '18 at 18:29

This type of combination (adding ァィゥェォ after a katakana of the same vowel) is fairly rare, but I occasionally see it in fictional names. (Sometimes creators want odd-looking names...) Basically ァィゥェォ works like a long vowel marker, but from my experience, the length does not exceed two morae even if another long vowel marker follows.

• ブゥ, リィ, レェ, ロォ: Pronounced in two morae, like ブー, リー, レー, ロー
  • ブゥケ, リィン, レェラ, ロォト: Usually pronounced in three morae (like ブーケ, リーン, レーラ, ロート), but some people may pronounce them shortly (like ブケ, リン, レラ, ロト).
  • ブゥーケ, リィーン, レェーラ, ロォート: Pronounced in three morae, just like ブーケ, リーン, レーラ, ロート. "Double-elongation" does not happen.

To take another example, ブードゥー (Voodoo) is occasionally spelled as ブゥードゥー, but this ブゥー is pronounced the same way as ブー.

So I think ウボォーギン is pronounced just like ウボーギン. But if it were ウボオーギン (non-small オ), most people would read it with a "double-elongated vowel", as discussed in this question.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.