I am still stumped on understanding this one sentence:

今打った方が格段に実力はまさっています

ですが、彼の打つ手に正しい手はひとつもありません

(source context panels)

In this case the speaker is talking about a go player who is bullying a weaker opponent by playing aggressive but meaningless moves.

I tried to translate it as:

"He would be much stronger if he played with his real ability, but he's not playing a single correct move."

I tried to interpret 打った方 as A方がB that is described in pages like this post, but still I think I am on the wrong track.

How is 〜た方が actually being used here, and how do I make sense of this sentence, grammatically?

Related: 方 - also read ほう when referring to a person?

This 方 (ほう) refers to a person. They are clearly comparing two players, not two actions. 今打った方 means "the one who just made a move", that is, the stronger player.

Related:

• Thank you very much, this clears it up! I had a feeling I was on the wrong track. – Janusz ヤヌシュ Aug 1 '18 at 3:21
  • I realized that I threw myself off because for some reason I assumed that 方 to refer to a person was only ever read as かた. Now I know that that is not the case. – Janusz ヤヌシュ Aug 1 '18 at 3:42
    Just as a clarification: when you are actually referring to a person specifically, it is always read かた. In this case, it might be better to translate it as "side," although it might sound a bit weird. 方 is only referring to a person by proxy in this case, if that makes any sense. As in, the "side" (if each "side" of the fight is a person) who just made a move. – Kurausukun Aug 1 '18 at 4:39
  • Thank you @Kurausukun At the same time I happened to find a post that clarifies this same thing: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/11023/… – Janusz ヤヌシュ Aug 1 '18 at 4:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.