Talking about pregnancy with my Japanese friends has been a challenge because I have struggled to translate some English concepts.

Ultrasound is one of those words.

超音波{ちょうおんぱ} is the word I find as the translation for ultrasound. However, because of the existence of the 波 character, I find that this is referring more to the ultrasonic waves, and not the procedure. Is my suspicion warranted here?

Would it make more sense to say:

明日、超音波を受けてから赤ちゃんの性別が分かる。

or

明日、超音波で赤ちゃんの性別が分かる。

I'm leaning towards the use of で after 超音波, but I can't put my reasoning to words. It just feels better to me.

Finally, is my next translation nonsensical?

On the 24th, we are getting an ultrasound of the baby.
24日に超音波で赤ちゃんの写真をとる。

I think 超音波を受ける is casually used, but 超音波検査を受ける might be better. You can also use エコー検査. So how about saying...

「{明日、/明日の}{超音波検査/エコー検査}で、赤ちゃんの性別がわかる。」
「明日、{超音波/エコー}で赤ちゃんの性別がわかる。」
「明日{超音波検査/エコー検査}を受けて、赤ちゃんの性別がわかる。」

On the 24th, we are getting an ultrasound of the baby.
24日に超音波で赤ちゃんの写真をとる。

Your sentence looks good to me. You can also use 超音波写真/エコー写真.

「24日に赤ちゃんの{超音波写真/エコー写真}を撮る。」

超音波 has been completely accepted as an abbreviated form of 超音波検査, but something like 超音波写真 or MRI写真 is technically incorrect and should be avoided at least in academic/technical contexts. I'm not stopping laypeople from using it in casual conversations, though... – naruto Aug 1 '18 at 2:23

専門的{せんもんてき}には最初{さいしょ}の2文{ぶん}は少{すこ}し変{へん}なところもありますが、実用的{じつようてき}には、OPが提示{ていじ}した以下{いか}の表現{ひょうげん}はいずれも普通{ふつう}に使{つか}われており、意味{いみ}が通{つう}じると思{おも}います。

The first two examples presented by OP sound a bit strange in the field of expertise, but in practical terms, I think that the following sentences are commonly used and make sense.

• 明日、超音波を受けてから赤ちゃんの性別が分かる。
  • 明日、超音波で赤ちゃんの性別が分かる。
  • 24日に超音波で赤ちゃんの写真をとる。

To understand technical terms, please visit the following sites in Japanese.

In English, please read the following articles.

超音波{ちょうおんぱ} ultrasound を使{つか}った非破壊{ひはかい}検査{けんさ} non-destructive testing あるいは[非破壊]{ひはかい}[映像化]{えいぞうか}[装置]{そうち}の医療分野{いりょうぶんや}への応用{おうよう}あるいは実用化{じつようか}は日本{にほん}が先導{せんどう}してきた技術{ぎじゅつ}です。 対象物{たいしょうぶつ}を壊{こわ}さずに中{なか}の状態{じょうたい}を可視化{かしか}できますので、OPが話題{わだい}にしている妊婦{にんぷ}のお腹{なか}の赤{あか}ちゃんを見{み}るのに大変{たいへん}適{てき}しています。

「超音波{ちょうおんぱ}」を使{つか}った技術{ぎじゅつ}のどこを指{さ}すかによって用語{ようご}が色々{いろいろ}あり、「超音波{ちょうおんぱ}検査{けんさ}」「超音波{ちょうおんぱ}映像{えいぞう}装置{そうち}」「超音波{ちょうおんぱ}断層{だんそう}撮影{さつえい}」あるいは「超音波{ちょうおんぱ}診断{しんだん}」「超音波{ちょうおんぱ}診断{しんだん}装置{そうち}」のような専門{せんもん}用語{ようご}があります。
妊婦{にんぷ}のお腹{なか}の赤{あか}ちゃんを映像化{えいぞうか}(=[可視化]{かしか})する用語{ようご}として当初{とうしょ}用{もち}いられたものは、「超音波診断{ちょうおんぱしんだん}」、そして、それを実現{じつげん}する装置{そうち}である「超音波診断装置{ちょうおんぱしんだんそうち}」です。「超音波診断{ちょうおんぱしんだん}」は「超音波検査{ちょうおんぱけんさ}」の一部{いちぶ}ですが、「検査{けんさ}」には映像化{えいぞうか}する対象{たいしょう}として物体{ぶったい}も含{ふく}まれますので、人体{じんたい}を対象{たいしょう}とする医療{いりょう}関係者{かんけいしゃ}あるいはそのための装置{そうち}を製造{せいぞう}する関係者{かんけいしゃ}の間{あいだ}では、「診断{しんだん}」という用語{ようご}の方{ほう}が好{この}んで使{つか}われていたように思{おも}います。むろん「レントゲン検査{けんさ}」のように医療現場{いりょうげんば}で「検査{けんさ}」という表現{ひょうげん}も普通{ふつう}に使{つか}われておりますので、お腹{なか}の赤{あか}ちゃんを見{み}るのに「超音波検査{ちょうおんぱけんさ}」と言{い}っても全{まった}く問題{もんだい}はありません。

専門家でも論文とかでない限り「検査」はいちいち言わずに「超音波」と言うのが当たり前ですから「専門的には少し変」とは思いません。(わざわざ長く堅苦しく言いたい時に「超音波写真」というのは流石に不正確なので「超音波画像」などとすべきだとは思います) – naruto Aug 1 '18 at 6:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.