What does the most famous line of the movie Audition (Ôdishon, 1999) mean and how is it transcribed correctly using Latin letters?

It sounds (!) like "kittie, kittie, kittie, kittie, kittie" and is uttered, when the female character puts long needles into various sensitive body parts of her victim. The DVD-subtitles in various languages provide words like "deeper, deeper, deeper" or "pricking, pricking, pricking". Unfortunately, my DVD has no Japanese subtitles, and I can't find it translating those English words with the help of dictionaries.

closed as off-topic by ajsmart, Dono, Blavius, macraf, l'électeur Aug 1 '18 at 12:47

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This question was caused by a simple spelling mistake, misreading, or typographical error. While similar questions may be on-topic here, this one was resolved in a manner unlikely to help future readers. For more information, see our meta discussion on "typo questions"." – macraf, l'électeur
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I have never seen this film, but guessed you may be hearing きりきりきり (kirikirikiri). I tried typing きりきりきり into google to see what would happen, and it autocompleted to オーディション (Audition) so I think this is your answer for how to correctly write it in romaji. Here is the google search.

As for what it means, Chocolate says that it is an onomatopoeia, which according to this giongo list possibly meaning 'a sharp drilling pain' which sounds relevant for the context.

As an aside, the 'tt' consonant in American English 'kitty' happens to sound similar to Japanese r, which I think is why you heard it that way.

「キリキリキリ」と「オーディション」でヒットしてんのって、全部擬音語で、「切り」は関係ないですね・・ – Chocolate Jul 30 '18 at 22:57
  • 訂正をありがとうございました〜 – Janusz ヤヌシュ Jul 30 '18 at 23:13
  • I've also heard that some people translate what was said in that scene as “Tickle, tickle, tickle!” Normally, it's supposed to be cute or affectionate, but it comes across as very horrifying in that scene. – Micheal Gignac Jul 31 '18 at 11:35

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.