The abbreviation means age, sex and location. It is used frequently in English. Is there a similar term used in Japanese?

Yes, the term you're looking for is "1996". – istrasci Jul 30 '18 at 16:58
  • No such equivalent, but Japanese chatters who regularly visit English-speaking rooms know ASL of course. I used to chat at Alamak site 20+ yrs ago. – DXV Jul 31 '18 at 0:51
  • @istrasci that made me laugh hard. LOL! – Tommy Jul 31 '18 at 1:57
  • what's the joke, I don't get it :( – kuchitsu Jul 31 '18 at 10:34
    I have never heard of ASL before haha, but I'm guessing the 1996 joke is referring to the year; i.e. anonymous chats and talk of ASL sounds like something really outdated, e.g. from 1996 – weirdalsuperfan Jul 31 '18 at 14:44

None, as far as I know. They are usually not abbreviated.

個人情報 (personal information) is similar, but it includes the name of the person.

でも・・ チャットで「asl?」とか「asl plz」とか書きますけど「個人情報教えて」なんて書く人いませんし、たぶん「asl」を尋ねていることすら通じませんよね・・ – Chocolate Jul 30 '18 at 15:20
  • interesting. so Japanese chat rooms use the English abbreviation.... are there any other things where the English way of asking is more popular than any Japanese way? I was looking at a lot of "Japanese chat expressions" after this question was asked. – ericfromabeno Jul 30 '18 at 16:17
    @eric Oh, no we don't use "asl" in Japanese chat rooms... I meant to say in English chat rooms you use "asl?" "asl plz" but we don't use the term 個人情報 to ask "asl?" -- By the way, "asl" is almost outdated now, no? I haven't seen it used in chat for years.. – Chocolate Jul 30 '18 at 16:22
    ^ Is there a term for ”ASL” when used in chats? ... Is there a similar term used in Japanese?に対する答えは、None になると思いますね・・ たぶん誰に聞いても・・ – Chocolate Jul 31 '18 at 13:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.