can anyone explain how do i use kibou in a sentence. I wrote this sentence in my assignment.

私は卒業したあと、やりたいと思う仕事を見つける事を希望しています。 My teacher corrected this sentence as

私は卒業したあと、やりたいと思う仕事を見つけたい。

I don't understand how should I use the word kibou in a sentence. What exactly does kibou mean and in what situation should i use it.

Your attempt is grammatical, but I think your teacher thought it was unnecessarily grandiose and stiff. (I think you already know the difference between .) Although we see 希望 used in songs and documentary videos all the time, 希望 is not a word we use on a regular basis. When you want to say "I hope so" or such in a daily situation, usually you should use ~たい, ~たいと思う, ~(だ)といいですね, ~れば良いと思います, etc.

Still, you can use 希望 when you seriously declare your choice. It's perfectly fine to say 私の将来の希望は教師になることです or 将来看護師になることを希望しています in an interview or such. If you have a chance to write a Japanese curriculum vitae, you may see 本人希望記入欄. Japanese high school students often fill a form called 進路希望調査 to tell teachers their intended future course.

• Okay... I got it now. Thank you so much for the explanation. – ジャスミート Jul 30 '18 at 3:38

希望しています is a formal expression (ex. used in a job interview).

In a casual conversation, したい is natural.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.