I learned that in Japanese you can put a sentence in front of a noun without の: like "買った本" or "もらったプレゼント".

In a JLPT N3 sample question I encountered "オープンしたばかりのレストラン". Could I omit the の and just say "オープンしたばかりレストラン"?

Thanks!

When you're modifying a noun with a verb phrase (e.g., 美智子が買った本), no particle is used between the verb phrase and the modified noun. However, ばかり acts like a noun, and when you're modifying a noun with a noun phrase in Japanese, the の particle is required. If it's helpful, think of オープンしたばかりのレストラン as the same construction as:

美智子が買った本のブックカバー

Whether ばかり is actually a noun is an interesting question. (It seems to me that it is, but I'm not sure.)

• I am aware that noun + の + noun. However, according to jisho.org, ばかり is a particle. And オープンしたばかり seems to be a complete sentence to me. So after your explanation my confusion still stands. – dgg32 Jul 29 '18 at 17:38
    オープンしたばかり is a complete sentence only in the sense that you can drop the だ from the end of a sentence and have it still sound natural in some contexts. I'd say ばかり is an adverbial noun like 場合; it operates like a noun and requires の to modify a noun. There really isn't more to it than that, I'm afraid. It's not a verb and can't directly modify a noun the way a verb phrase or い-adjective can. – mamster Jul 29 '18 at 23:18
  • I've never heard ばかり defined as a particle... – istrasci Aug 28 '18 at 18:15
    @istrasci If you check just about any monolingual dictionary, you'll find it listed as a 副助詞, and then you will have heard of it. – snailcar Aug 28 '18 at 18:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.