Just learned that the honorific equivalents of nephew and niece in Japanese are: 甥御 and 姪御, which raise the question:

How come 御 functions as a suffix instead of a prefix which is the case we usually see? Are there other common examples of this phenomenon?

Incidentally, according to goo辞書, they are generally written in kana instead of kanji. I used their kanji for the sake of clarity.

*Been slacking off with my Japanese lately, but よろしくお願いいたします!

-go is a suffix, distinct from the prefix go-. The suffix is used to show "light respect" towards human beings only, mostly after family terms (so not for general nouns like go-Iken, etc.). The Kokugo Daijiten dictionary attributes it to an abbreviation of 御前 Goze.

Goze, Gozen was originally a word for nobility, then a respectful term for adult women, then a respectful term of address for women (a treatment pronoun). By the 13th century we see -goze used as a polite suffix; in the Heike Monotagari (Tale of the House of Taira) we have characters addressing others like やや副将御ぜ Yaya, Fukushō-goze… “Well now, Lord Vice-captain…”

In the same work we have the first known appearance of -go as 母御 (modern Haha-go). By the time the Jesuits came and described the language, around 1604, they found it in use for the whole family: Faua-go (Fawa-go, modern Haha-go), Tete-go (father), Vôgi-go (ヲウチゴ Wōdji-go, modern Ojī-go, grandfather (not Ōji, prince)), Ani-go older brother, Vototo-go (Wototo > Otōto), Vba-go (Uba-go > Uba), Vôba-go (Wōba ?> Obā), "&c.".

The Jesuits explain of -goien (gojen = ごぜん; ぜ was like じぇ at the time) and its reduced form -go that:

The first particle of these two [=ごぜん] is proper solely for women, & honour them in the manner of Sama, out of respect for the noble people to whom such women belong. […] -Go [, by contrast,] is proper for men & women.

Notice that this is already different from the use of -goze to address the captain in the Heike. Apparently the longer form became sufficiently associated with women that the shorter -go replaced it as a gender-neutral suffix.

Sources:

• Kokugo Daijiten.
  • Arte da lingoa de Iapam (my translation).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.