In the Japanese word for Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, where does the パ before 腫 come from?

Lymph = リンパ  

Lymphoma = リンパ腫

There is nothing mysterious about it.

• Ah, thanks. I got confused, thought リン it was still part of the name. – tabun Jul 29 '18 at 9:22

user27280 has the right of it.

Some additional information:

• リンパ is historically found in kanji as 淋巴.
  • The term is a borrowing from Dutch lympha (now archaic, replaced by lymf[e]), in turn from Latin lympha ("pure water"), in turn from Ancient Greek νύμφη (nymphe, "bride; spring water"), and also cognate with English nymph.
  • My sources (Daijirin, Daijisen, Shogakukan's Kokugo Dai Jiten) don't give enough detail to suss out when this was borrowed. However, given the 淋巴 kanji spelling and the archaic Dutch etymon (root), I'm inclined to think that this was an early borrowing from the 1600s (compare 煙草 (tabako), a similar early borrowing that has nativized kanji spellings).
  • I think it's a typo: 琳派 →淋巴. The former refers to the school of painters. – Yosh Jul 30 '18 at 1:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.