enter image description here




(Somewhat unrelated but what are those kanjis? I guess the lower one is 文? Is the upper one just a variation of the same kanji or is it a different one? -Sorry, I'm illiterate when it comes to kanji.)

I assume that to an English reader the kanji here doesn't matter much and I think any non-english symbol would pass (at least in the right context), but for a Japanese reader? Are those kanji a Chinese thing only perhaps or recognized in all kanji-using countries?

And most importantly: Would it be weird to use those on a Japanese website?

Thanks for your help!

closed as primarily opinion-based by l'électeur, Blavius, macraf, user3856370, Dono Jul 30 '18 at 0:11

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • If the icon is supposed to mean "change language", it suggests that its designer cannot distinguish between languages and scripts. This I think makes it totally unfit for purpose. – Brian Chandler Jul 29 '18 at 6:05
  • @BrianChandler That's quite the statement when you have no idea of the context. For example, wikipedia uses a very similar icon for changing language on their mobile site. In fact, I wouldn't have bothered with the question if I had spotted that earlier on. – ippi Jul 29 '18 at 6:29

The lower one is indeed 文, a kanji meaning sentence or text. The icon makes perfect sense to Japanese audience, too. The upper one is not a kanji I know, but it looks like a Korean consonant ㅊ (it probably does not have its own meaning). If you only target at Japanese audience, I recommend you use the lower one.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.