As you can see in this one Wikipedia article, there is a long list of these syndicates. Not only that, but most of them have 組 or 会 as a suffix.

According to Weblio, has the meanings of “A company, a party, a team, a crew, a gang”, and has the meanings of “A society, a club, an association”.

Is there a difference between the two suffixes when they are applied to crime syndicates? I'm just curious.

~組 usually follows a founder's family name (e.g., 山口組, 東組, 浅野組). This is because ~組 was originally a naming convention of Japanese carpenters, who worked in a smaller, family-like organization in the past. There are still many (benign) general contractors named like family-name + 組 in Japan (see this list). Japanese yakuza borrowed their convention.

~会 is a more generic suffix which can follow a place name (e.g., 住吉会 named after Sumiyoshi Town, Tokyo), a "concept" (e.g., 共政会 "cooperatively governed", 旭琉會 "rising sun of Okinawa", 親和会 "fellowship") as well as a person name (e.g., 工藤会 founded by Genji Kudo). There are tons of NPOs named like ~会.

Anyway, once it has been established as the name of an organization, there is no meaningful difference.

• Hey, thanks! I was wondering if there was any difference to speak of. I guess that answers my question! – Micheal Gignac Jul 29 '18 at 11:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.