In my studies, I've come across the noun 人減 used in the context of population.

An example would be,

十一万人減.

減る means to diminish / decrease.

Thus, I hypothesize the meaning of this noun is to express

population has decreased [to 110 thousand].

Is my assumption correct, or is the meaning different?

It means "decrease/drop (of population) by 110 thousand".

"The population has decreased to 110 thousand." is translated as "人口が、11万人にまで減った。" and it means "The current population is 110 thousand".

• Sorry, I edited my question slightly. My main question is about 人減 and less about the number itself. What would the meaning be omitting the number? – Tim F. Jul 28 '18 at 4:45
    ~人減 means "the number of people decreased". If it is used in the context of population, It means "the population of 110 thousand decreased." – Yuuichi Tam Jul 28 '18 at 5:03
    人減 isn't a word on its own. It's ~人 + the suffix 減 – Leebo Jul 28 '18 at 5:11
    @YuuichiTam I'm sorry to say that "110 thousand people decreased" doesn't really make sense. Do you mean "decreased by 110 thousand" / "A reduction of/by 110 thousand people"? e.g. If we start with 30 people and then say 10人減 , do we finish with 20 people? Or do you mean the population started at 110 thousand and decreased to some unspecified number. I hope it's not this second meaning or I'll be really confused. – user3856370 Jul 28 '18 at 8:39

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.