What does 9月とか10月なんですよ mean?

日本で台風と言うと
9月とか10月なんですよ
7月に上陸とか聞いたことありません

We were chatting about typhoons. Does it mean "What? We still have September and October, you know"? In particular, I want to know what the "なんですよ" means.

• Funny 'cause I personally seem typhoons in japan in august though – Felipe Oliveira Jul 27 '18 at 19:54
  • Don't confuse this 'なんです' with the interrogative version. The one in your sentence means roughly 'it's that...' and is used for giving a reason or context - nothing to do with asking 'what'. There are effectively three parts to it; first is な which in this context is not dissimilar to the な used in な-adjectives. Next is ん which is a short version of の; this の is a variable particle which 'contains' everything before it. Finally, です which I doubt needs explaining. – VeryCommonName Jul 29 '18 at 23:16

The とか used here is a way of listing, it's somewhat the informal counterpart of や, which means that it is a listing that goes on "1, 2, 3..."

So let's breakdown this chat:

日本で台風と言うと - When it comes to Typhoon.

9月とか10月なんですよ - It is September, October...

7月に上陸とか聞いたことありません - I haven't heard of typhoons happening in July.

Therefore:

When it comes to Typhoons, they usually happen in September, October... I have never heard of Typhoons in July.

Another quick example where I use とか a lot:

Japanese Person: 日本のどこへ行ったの?Where did you go in Japan.

Foreigner: 東京とか、京都とか、大阪に行ったよ。 I went to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, etc.

Edit: "I wanted to know what the nan desuyo meant.":

なんですよ is the contraction of なのですよ。 Basically, since this person is exaplaining to you something about Typhoons, he/she is adding the の particle, to add more emphasis to the explanation.

Now, since 月 is a noun, you gotta add the な before it. Therefore, 月なのですよ。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.