Question in title. A bit lost on how to say this at the moment. Any help/suggestions is appreciated!

EDIT: How I went about saying this in Japanese is:「Coachellaわいくの?」 (Are you going to Coachella?)

Just wondering if there's a better way to ask this.

• Please provide an attempt at translation to obtain a response to the question. – JACK Jul 26 '18 at 17:26
  • What JACK said... this site doesn't want to encourage translation requests or "how do you say X" requests that show no effort on the questioner's part. So this question won't be answered until you change it a little, to show that you have at least tried to figure out some of the words or grammar on your own. This is meant to stop people from using the members as "free service", and so we don't get flooded by such requests. – ericfromabeno Jul 26 '18 at 17:33
  • My mistake, I added my attempt in the body. Thank you. – meiyuu Jul 26 '18 at 17:37
    A possible answer.japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/3992/… – JACK Jul 26 '18 at 17:43
  • substitute the term for doko. – JACK Jul 26 '18 at 17:47

Based on the context, I'm assuming your question is asking someone if he or she is intending or planning to go the event we're calling "X." That being said, you have two ways to express this question:

• Xに行くつもりですか。[X ni iku tsumori desu ka.]
  • Xに行く予定ですか。[X ni iku yotei desu ka.]

つもり /tsumori/ and 予定 /yotei/ both involve an intention or plan to do something, but there is a slight nuance between the two terms.

• つもり means that you have an intention to do something. You may or may not actually form a definite plan, but it's just that, an intention.
  • 予定, on the other hand,indicates that you will go through with the intention (maybe you've made a plan that you will for sure be carrying out).

The short contrast is that つもり signifies intention, while 予定 signals a guaranteed or definite plan.

Note that, for either term, the plain form of the verb needs to be used.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.