I found this explanation but I don't really understand it.

【1】「問い」は、単に尋ね聞くこと。

【2】「質問」は、広く一般的に疑問点を問う場合に用いる。教室や会議など公の場での問いに用いることが多いが、私的、個人的な場でも用いる。(source)

My opinion is different from what the dictionary says...

As a noun, 問い is perhaps closer to problem, but is a fairly literary and "big" word. Basically it's only used in the following cases:

1. In serious examinations, where ~せよ is still used.

以下の問いに日本語で答えよ。

2. Important and fundamental questions/problems that may not have an answer (philosophical question, political question, ...).
    • そのニュースは、平和とは何なのかという問いを国民に投げかけた。
    • 「時間とは何か」という問いに物理学者は挑んでいる。
  3. As a stiff synonym for (good) 疑問 in a context related to education.

英語学習における初心者の問いに答える記事

4. In old novels, stiff literary works, etc.

よく五音をいい分け、人と問答会話するをもって、なんぴとにてもこの怪声に対し問いを発せば、いちいちその答えを得という (source)

質問 is a common word, and it refers to a question thrown to somebody else, expecting a concrete answer, either casually or formally. "Where is the station?" is a typical 質問 but usually not called a 問い. If you ask something to yourself ("What should I do next?"), that's never a 質問, either.

Maybe we can add this to "wago is more stiff than kango equivalent" list.

問い{とい}, which is sometimes shortened to 問{とい} is mostly used only in examinations, as in 問い1 (Question 1). 質問{しつもん} is the general term you call a sentence that asks for information, as in 先生、質問があります。(Teacher, I have a question.) You can call a question on an examination as a 質問, but you cannot refer to a question you ask someone as a 問い.

While we're at it, there are at least two other Japanese words that are also translated into English as "question" and that is 問題{もんだい} and 疑問{ぎもん}. 問題 is just the same as 問い when referring to questions (or problems) on an examination. 疑問 means doubt, or a matter that needs to be dealt with or considered as in その必要性{ひつようせい}について疑問が生{しょう}じる (A question arises as to whether it is necessary.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.