I want to say that I work in an office. I researched both terms. Shitsu is a room, but I assumed that sho is used more for location. Which term is more appropriate to use?

• What did you find when you "researched both terms"? – Earthliŋ Jul 25 '18 at 18:55
  • Maybe this will help. Click on the results to see their respective definitions. – Joshua Detwiler Jul 25 '18 at 19:03
    I found out that both terms are very similar in meaning. I am not clear on the difference between shitsu and sho. – TutorJack-YouTube Jul 25 '18 at 19:03

~室 is for a room, and ~所 is for a facility which usually has more than one room.

If "office" refers to a certain room in an organization, use 事務室. If "office" refers to an entire building, floor or organization, use 事務所.

EDIT: The same is true for the translation of "laboratory"; you have to correctly choose between 研究室 and 研究所.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.