I was reading this particular answer, when I found something interesting and confusing to me. The answer stated:

If one had to insert a particle in [会社{かいしゃ}など230の会社] that made sense, that particle would be 「の」. It would, however, be slightly wordy because there will be another 「の」 coming soon in 「230の会社」. It would also make the sentence sound unnecessarily informal as well.

It makes sense to me that it is more wordy. However, I would have guessed the opposite for formality. I assumed that by adding the extra particle it would become more formal.

So, this claim that adding the particle is 'unnecessarily informal' is at odds with my understanding.

How is it unnecessarily informal?

Where would the additional の be inserted? – JACK Jul 24 '18 at 21:23

Often a shorter version sounds stiffer or more literary/academic/technical.

AなどB is another example. But the difference is small, and AなどのB is not particularly casual, either. An even stiffer variant is 等(とう), which is a norm in legal sentences but should be avoided in ordinary business conversations. See: Inaccurate ruby for 等?

It's difficult to give a shared background for this, but in general, a highly stiff and literary material tends to have more (on-yomi) kanji and less kana.

Very interesting. If I'm understanding correctly, in this it is more formal because it is less wordy, and most often used AなどB. – ajsmart Jul 25 '18 at 13:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.