I learnt that a word like 花 (はな) is of pitch pattern (2), i.e. with a drop after the last mora in case it is followed by a particle. Yet, when I hear people use a word like this is combination with the -を particle, it sounds to me like it is of pitch pattern (0), i.e. with no drop at all (accentless). Take, for instance, the sentence 花を買いました, where I cannot detect a drop.

My ear is not very trained in that sense, so I might be mistaken; but I have heard a lot of similar sentences in which I cannot detect a drop.

Can somebody confirm/refute my hunch? Even better, does anybody know the general rule (assuming there is one) in relation to the -を particle, and perhaps even related to other very common particles, such as -が, -は and -に?

Many thanks in advance!

Yair

• Can you hear the drop in the example 「戦車が花を轢き潰す。」 given here? – jukbot Jul 20 '18 at 9:54
    「花を買いました」は「[はなを]{LHL}~」って言うと思いますが・・ 「鼻をかみました」だと「[はなを]{LHH}~」になりますけど。 – Chocolate Jul 21 '18 at 2:37
  • Yes, I can hear the drop very clearly in the example sentence included in the link you posted, @jukbot Thanks for that! It strange that it is absent in the soundbites I am listening to... – Pregunto Jul 21 '18 at 10:01

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.