Is a babies age determined by date of conception or date of birth? What is the term used for determining the age? A Japanese friend told me that a pregnancy is 10 months. I have always used tanjoubi to mean a person's birthday, but is age actually determined by date of conception? Is a baby considered to be zerosai/marusai/reisai at birth, or older?

In the past, Japanese ages used to be counted similarly to Korean ages, as ajsmart's comment talks about, but Japanese ages have been "westernized" for a long time now.

My Japanese friends who have started families always refer to their children's age from birth. I have heard newborn babies' ages described as [0歳]{ゼロさい} "zerosai", and also [1ヶ月]{いっかげつ} "ikkagetsu", and so on for months, [1週]{いっしゅう} "isshuu", and so on for number of weeks, and if you want to specify down to the day for some reason, you add …と[1日]{いちにち} "to ichinichi" etc for days.

So a baby that is 3 months old would be [3ヶ月]{さんかげつ} "sankagetsu".

A baby that you want to describe as (for some strange reason) 2 years, 4 months and 5 days old would be [2歳]{にさい}[4ヶ月]{よんかげつ}と[5日]{いつか} "ni sai, yonkagetsu to itsuka".

What is to ikka? Maybe you tried to type "to mikka" (と3日)? – Chocolate Jul 20 '18 at 0:07
    「ひとすか」て何ですねん・・・ 「1日」は「いちにち」でよろしいですやん・・ – Chocolate Jul 20 '18 at 3:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.