Suppose someone is about to do/say something dangerous/inappropriate. And I want to stop them immediately. In English and Spanish I say "no!" to them. It is an order to stop, short form of "don't do it/that". How can I do that in Japanese?

I do not think you can say いいえ in this case.

To stop a child from doing something, some book says to say だめ!. But I find it lacking, meaning "it is wrong/problematic to do that" and leaving the connection to "(so don't do it)" to the listener. I want a short direct, clear, unambiguous order. :-)

とまれ![止まれ?] sounds to me more related to movement, less general. Also, だめ! and "no!" are simpler for a child (to understand/process, and for me to think and say).

Would the answer depend on context or listener (adult/toddler/student/teammate)?

About "no" versus いいえ, but not related: What's the difference between いいえ and English's “no”?. – Pablo H Jul 18 '18 at 16:58
    やめてください!やめろ!のをやめてください!などはどうですか – HiBlau Jul 18 '18 at 17:19
  • 「危ない」is also a good way to order a child to stop. For example. 2人で自転車に乗るのは危ないんだよ! – HiBlau Jul 18 '18 at 17:25

When I lived in Japan, I heard parents use some of the following:

Like you suggested, だめ! was among the first. Sometimes followed by 危ないから! or 危ないよ!

I also heard やめて! pretty often.

I guess none of those really carry the "What you are doing is wrong" nuance, but neither does "NO STOP!" in English. If you have to express the idea that a child should not do something, I would suggest それをやってはいけないよ or maybe やっちゃダメだよ or something similar.

• I think やめろ! is what I'm looking for. Thanks to both answers and HING's comment. It's hard go get my mind around not having single all-purpose 'no' :-) (one can't answer やめろ to リンゴが好き?). – Pablo H Oct 23 '18 at 12:29

there are a lot of situations.

・to stop speak: (to child):

(to stop loud)静かにしなさい。うるさい。お口はチャック。
  (to stop inappropriate saying)黙りなさい。そんなことを言ってはいけません。
  (both)やめなさい。めっ。こらっ。だめでしょう。しーっ。

(to students):

(to stop loud)静かにしなさい。私語は慎みなさい。静粛に。    
  (to stop inappropriate saying)黙りなさい。
  (both)口を閉じなさい。

(to friends):

(to stop loud)静かにして。うるさいよ。黙ろう。

(to stop inappropriate saying)言いすぎだよ。これ以上はだめ。

(both)やめろ。しーっ。

(to adults (politeway)):

(to stop loud)静かにしていただけませんか。静粛にお願いします。私語はお控えください。
  (to stop inappropriate saying)おやめください。冷静になってください。
  (both)---I never heard...---

・to stop dangerous things:

(to child):危ない!だめっ!やめなさい!こらっ!何やってるの!こっちに来なさい!めっ!
  (to students):危ない!やめなさい!こらっ!何やってるの!
  (to friends):危ない!やめろ!何やってんだ!
  (to adults (polite))おやめください!危険です!何をしていらっしゃるのですか!?

We dont use お黙りください for polite way. because "お黙り" include the strong order. sometimes in the anime/movie, the princess use "お黙りなさい" to lower class person.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.