I'm looking for Japanese word for window sill, specifically the interior one.

Window sill

There is a specific word for a wide interior window sill in Russian (подоконник). Is there an equivalent in Japanese? I googled a little and found:



I also found:


but it appears to refer the outer window sill, the one facing the street.

1 Answer 1


窓台 seems to be the specific word. 膳板 and 天板 are used to refer to the board used to form this 台.

But these words are fairly rare. To laypeople, you probably have to say something like 出窓のカウンター部分, 窓の下の平らなスペース, 窓枠の下の棚状の部分, etc.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .