When watching the news and other shows on television, I often see various written content displayed on the screen for brief periods of time, usually on the bottom, but sometimes on the right. I just learned that in English it is called closed captioning. I saw the term on Jisho, before posting. It is used frequently on news programs on a daily basis. Is there a Japanese term for this word? What is this content called?

  • 2
    Like closed captioning? jisho.org/word/51868dc0d5dda7b2c6006878
    – ajsmart
    Jul 17, 2018 at 13:59
  • 1
    what, headlines? captions? closed captioning?? what are you talking about? any specific shows or examples? Jul 17, 2018 at 13:59
  • [字幕]{じ・まく}?????
    – istrasci
    Jul 17, 2018 at 14:21
  • @JACK I'm really impressed by your inquisitiveness. I have tried to garner stackexchange points by submitting answers, and have about the same points as you, but have only reached 10K people, where your questions have benefited six times that many... I learn a lot from your questions. Thanks. Jul 17, 2018 at 14:45
  • I learn from you and everybody else here. Good stuff.
    – Jack Bosma
    Jul 17, 2018 at 14:47

1 Answer 1


テロップ (from English telop) is the generic word for any type of superimposed text on TV, and it's understood by everyone. You can see many テロップ's in the image below, at the top, right, left and bottom of the screen.

enter image description here

字幕 ("subtitle") is another common word, but it basically only refers to a transcription or translation of what the person on screen is saying.

  • 3
    That must be British English...
    – istrasci
    Jul 17, 2018 at 14:22
  • 3
    @istrasci I agree, It looks like what Americans refer to as a teleprompter.
    – ajsmart
    Jul 17, 2018 at 14:23
  • 5
    @naruto I can't say with complete confidence that it is typically used by Brittish English, but it would seem possible. The big issue is that it seems that the telop died out in the 50's/60's, so it might just be a dead word. I definitely haven't heard of it before.
    – ajsmart
    Jul 17, 2018 at 14:26
  • 13
    a teleprompter is literally a screen which prompts the announcer about what to say next, it has nothing to do with showing the audience any information. Jul 17, 2018 at 14:34
  • 3
    lots of things that "died out" in western culture still exist in Japanese culture. :P Fax machines, for example. :P Jul 17, 2018 at 14:38

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .