While reading a light novel, I came upon this sentence. One man shook hands with another and then said.

「──[『革新』]{イノベート}せよ、幾瀬鳶雄。ってね。それに──兵藤一誠くんとヴァーリ・ルシファーも。悪の神どもの思惑を崩すために。そして、三十年後に訪れる絶対の絶望から生き残るために」

The usage of ってね confused me. As I understand, it is just というね, however I don't get what it means in this context. Is it "Something like this" or "That's how it is"?

Yes, this って is a quotative particle and ね is for seeking agreement.

ってね is sometimes used to (jokingly) introduce a proverb/catchphrase/cliche; "You know, it is said that ...", "So people say ...".

逃げるが勝ち、ってね。
(You know, they say) fleeing is winning (so I'm running).

This "革新せよ幾瀬鳶雄" is probably not a real established catchphrase, so this may be more like a joke "People might say 革新せよ幾瀬鳶雄!" The sentence looks like this person is flattering 鳶雄 with an imaginary grandiose catchphrase.

(FWIW, 幾瀬鳶雄 and イノベート don't sound similar at all to me)

(Silly as this may sound, I could not think of any other explanations.)

We often add a 「ってね」、「なんてね」、「なんちゃって(ね)」, etc. immediately after making a pun.

These little phrases are the approximate equivalents of "Just kidding!", "Sike!", "Not!", etc. in English.

To answer your question from the context given (without knowing anything about the speaker's personality), I am inclined to think that the above is the case here as well. (Does he joke a lot?)

So, what is the pun? It is the pretty loose pun of:

『イノベート』せよ、 いくせとびお。= Inobeeto seyo, Ikuse Tobio.

Inobeeto seyo, Ikuse Tobio.

なんちゃってね!

• that is a hell of a "catch it if you can" pun, there! 0_0 I never would have caught that! Jul 17 '18 at 13:50
  • a similar English language pun might be "Don't peter out on us now, Peter!" ... groan.... -_-... Jul 17 '18 at 13:54
  • At first I thought about なんてね, but the conversation was serious (or, at least, it should have been).
    – Alex
    Jul 18 '18 at 9:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.