I doubt there is one, but is there a name for empanadas in Japanese? If there isnt, how should I call them in japanese, should I adapt the name to katakana (since it's a foreign word) or what?

enter image description here

enter image description here

There is the katakanized word 「エンパナーダ」, but it is not common at all as a word. (I myself had never seen that word until today.)

So, in order to explain what empanadas are to Japanese-speakers, you could either use 「エンパナーダ」 and tell them what they are like. It would help greatly if you used the term 「惣菜{そうざい}パン」 in your explanation since that is a word everyone knows and it covers all types of bread/pastry with stuffing inside.

If you said 「揚{あ}げた惣菜パンのようなものです。」 ("It's like a deep-fried 惣菜パン".), every Japanese-speaker would get the picture because 惣菜パン itself is far more popular in Japan than in North America at least.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.