I searched the word 居間 on Jisho and noticed that it referred to a Western style living room. I originally assumed that リビングルーム referred to a Western style living room. Is there a term for a Japanese style living room?

  • I guess 和室 is what you're looking for. – blaoi Jul 15 '18 at 13:37
  • Is it really true that it can't refer to a Japanese style room? I don't see anything in its definition to suggest that. – Leebo Jul 15 '18 at 13:41
  • 和室is a Japanese room. – Jack Bosma Jul 15 '18 at 13:41
  • 和室 isn't necessarily a living room though. – Leebo Jul 15 '18 at 13:45
  • Yes, a Japanese room has tatami mats. – Jack Bosma Jul 15 '18 at 13:50

「居間{いま}」 can be used regardless of the styles you speak of. (You should not trust everything Jisho tells you.)

Another highly common word is 「(お)茶{ちゃ}の間{ま}」.

I should perhaps mention the fact that rooms in Japanese homes have traditionally been far more multipurpose than their "Western" counterparts. Items such as futon and folding low tables make that possible. A room that is used as an 居間 or お茶の間 during the day can easily turn into a "bedroom" at night. That transformation would not even take five minutes.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.