I'm studding for the JLPT and found a phrase よくしゃれを言う人。After I looked up the definition of しゃれ I assumed the phrase meant "jokester". But what is the difference between しゃれ and 冗談?

I kind of got the idea that しゃれ is more of a witty comment. Is that right? I would also assume you can't say "しゃれだったよ!" like "冗談だった!" for "just kidding!" or "I was just joking"

• Related: japanese.stackexchange.com/q/59759/1628 – Earthliŋ Jul 12 '18 at 21:36
    「よくしゃれを言う人」という場合の「しゃれ」は、pun、語呂合わせのことじゃないですかね。。 冗談じゃない真面目なシャレもありますよね。 – Chocolate Jul 12 '18 at 23:14

According to the all-knowing Chiebukuro, apparently 洒落{しゃれ} is used for smart/witty comments or jokes, usually with the intention to make someone laugh, while 冗談{じょうだん} could refer to things like teasing, fooling around or making fun of someone. So it seems "しゃれだったよ!" is not a correct usage for "just kidding!".

Then there is おしゃれ used to refer to fashionable/trendy/stylish/elegant people or things.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.