I know the symbol is placed in front of the postal code. How is it pronounced?

• I wouldn't actually pronounce this if I was reading out an address. – Amani Kilumanga Jul 13 '18 at 8:59

According to Wikipedia the symbol itself is named 郵便記号{ゆうびんきごう}, but EDICT/Jisho also lists ゆうびん as "reading" for it. Since the origin of the symbol is katakana te (テ), you can probably just say "te" as well.

Chiebukuro offers:

• 郵便記号(ゆうびんきごう、〒)
  • 郵便マーク(ゆうびんマーク)
  • 郵便番号(ゆうびんばんごう)
  • 日本の郵便事業・郵便局の記号・シンボルマークです。

If you want to read it as part of the address (e.g. 〒100-8994), I would suggest using the word for "post code" (郵便番号{ゆうびんばんごう}).

• It's interesting that 3 possible meanings can be used. – JACK Jul 12 '18 at 20:29
    I've lived in Japan for 18 years, and I have never heard 「〒」 pronounced as "te". – Falken Jul 13 '18 at 12:53
  • @Falken but would you understand it if someone read it in such a way? – Igor Skochinsky Jul 13 '18 at 13:21
    @IgorSkochinsky When you're expecting numbers to be read to you, saying "te" is going to throw off the other person. They might understand what you're saying (ignoring the "te"), but they'll also be left thinking "this person's native language is not Japanese and mistook reading the yuubin symbol for a katakana..." – Falken Jul 13 '18 at 13:29
    That ゆうびん reading is set just for the purpose of converting it with IME on PC. – user4092 Jul 14 '18 at 5:44

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.