I'm helping a friend making a vertical neon sign for an installation with the word hikikomori. As I don't know anything about Japanese I just googled the translation, but can't understand how to order the characters. Should I just take 引き籠もり and then place one character on each line as read from top to bottom like:

Or should the order be the other way around when writing vertically? Languages are just not my thing...

• that's fine, top down. – ericfromabeno Jul 11 '18 at 22:15
    I would really love to see how the character 籠 is created using glass tubes. – istrasci Jul 11 '18 at 23:11

It should like this:

enter image description here

• You can just place each character from top to bottom, without rotating. For details, please see Horizontal and vertical writing in East Asian scripts
  • The word hikikomori is usually written as ひきこもり, in all-hiragana. Avoid complicated kanji 引 and 籠. The latter is probably impossible to reproduce with a neon tube, anyway.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.