Just wondering how you would say "I wish I could say "I miss you""? I was thinking it would be something along the lines of 「恋しい」語るできたらいいのに although I'm not sure. Thanks!

• How Japanese do you know? I'm asking because 語る looks like too straight a translation for "to tell", even though the are much easier (and more common) verbs for this. – Earthliŋ Jul 4 '18 at 9:44
    @Earthliŋ do you mean how much Japanese because I don't know that much. I know there's a lot of different ways to say or to tell so I wasn't sure which you would use or how. – Kazuki Jul 4 '18 at 9:57
  • Can you elaborate slightly on the situation in which you'd use the English sentence? I can think of various interpretations and I don't think you'd express them the same way in Japanese. – snailboat Jul 4 '18 at 10:01
  • @snailboat I was thinking of saying "I miss you (会いたい) but I wish I could say I miss you (恋しい)". Since one means you have to be able to see the person in the future apparently. I run an Instagram profile which I upload photos with small Japanese phrases or words as an aesthetic I suppose you could say. – Kazuki Jul 4 '18 at 10:12
  • Like those facebook sentimental messages that people bombard you with? I've never heard 恋しい used in conversation before... it's an い adjective, isn't it? I'm not sure that it actually means "I miss you" in the way that "miss" is used in English... for that matter, 会いたい, wanting to meet/see you is basically as close as they get to the idea of "missing" someone as far as I know, and that doesn't really capture the sense of "missing" someone either... that sense that some piece is missing from our lives, it's not a sentiment that can be reduced to a single japanese word... – ericfromabeno Jul 4 '18 at 13:30

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.