Lately I have come across two new “Grammar structures.” (I struggle to call them grammar because they are just phrases, but whatever.)

まるで。。。ように and かのように.

I understand they can both work together, but what’s the difference between each of them. For example comparing:

彼はまるで天才のように俺たちを見下げた,

彼は天才であるかのように俺たちを見下げた; And

彼は天才のように俺たちを見下げた.

I take it that まるで and かの add an aspect of ‘just’ like something. But does each of these just add emphasis or am I missing something majorly?

And to sum it up I guess what is the connotation if it is all together:

彼はまるで天才であるかのように俺たちを見下げた。

まるで

1 違いがわからないほどあるものやある状態に類似しているさま。あたかも。さながら。「この惨状は丸で地獄だ」「丸で夢のよう」

(From https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/210069/meaning/m0u/)

The definition says that it is used when we want to emphasize the fact that two things look so much alike that you can't see the difference.

Now I personally like to look at the root of the words when learning them, so I learned to see まるで like something that includes the thing it refers to as a whole because of the meaning of 丸 (round shape, circle). So I'd usually translate it by something like "complete(ly)" (I'm not a translator though) which I think carries more or less the same meaning.

丸で地獄だ : It is complete hell

When added to (か)のように I feel like it adds the same nuance of taking what follows as a whole and although sometimes it sounds more natural not to translate it, I would still see it as "complete(ly)".

のように

I assume you learned this grammar so I am not going to go too much into it, but 様 carries the meanings "way, appearance" so if you want to see it in a literal way you can translate it in your head as "in a way/appearance of..."

か is, to me, a particle that shows uncertainty. In the case of かのように, I feel like the か is what gives the expression this meaning of "as if" (something that is thought to be unreal).

To sum it up, this is how I would translate (literally) the expressions in your sentences:

まるで天才のように : In a way of completely a genius (like he's a complete genius)

天才であるかのように : In a way as if he is a genius (as if he were a genius)

天才のように : In a way of a genius (like he's a genius)

まるで天才であるかのように : In a way as if he is a complete genius (as if he were a complete genius)

This is how I make the distinction.

| improve this answer | |
  • By any chance can ‘まるで’ be used in a similar way to ‘もし(も)’ like as in I guess a warning that this sentence will end in a structure? – I dunno what to call myself Jul 2 '18 at 11:54
  • Secondly by the sounds of it, the full marude kanoyou would the best in what I’m tying to say? – I dunno what to call myself Jul 2 '18 at 11:56
  • Not necessarily, まるで as I said is only an additional word and it's not required when using のよう, I feel like もしも's usage is no different. So you can either use のよう alone, or まるで alone (or both together). @Idunnowhattocallmyself Also sorry for the late answer – Breton Loïc Jul 10 '18 at 16:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.