I sometimes hear or read sentences such as:

1. 行かないでよね!
  2. 聞かないでよね!

I get 「行かないでね!」and 「行かないでよ!」 but I wonder what nuance is added when both of them are used like in these examples.

I have the feeling that these are often used by young girls but I am not sure. Can it be used by men too?

It's basically the same as (imperative +) よ, i.e. request when the listener doesn't seem to share the same recognition as the speaker when you doubt that the opponent does it.

In falling tone*1, it stands for complaint as well as よ, and extra ね softens it, sort of.

(*1 Edit: I wrote "falling tone" because of similarity to falling よ, but I should have written it as "lower intonation" or so. This ね pronounced lower than that of the below, but it can be still higher than the preceding よ per se. So, it's actually not "falling".)

In rising tone*2, it sounds more imploring than simple (imperative +) よ?, which prompts attention to not forget about it.

(*2 This "rising tone" means that ね is pronounced higher than よ. If you further pronounce ね itself in sharp falling tone, it functions as (imperative +) よ with interjection ね, and the result is roughly the same.)

And, now that you mention it, it could sound a little too wimpy for men to use, though I think it depends on people, after all.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.