In English, when I want to know the subtle differences in meaning between similar words I consult a thesaurus's synonym discussion. To give an example of this, see halfway down Merriam-Webster's thesaurus page for the word "ponder". Several English thesauruses have them, but not all thesauruses do.

Is there a term for this which Japanese thesauruses conventionally use?


The similar section in a Japanese thesaurus names itself 使い分け—"usage differentiation" or "using accordingly", and I think this is a pretty stable choice of word. It however does not contain the word "synonym", which, in the case you want specify, could be added like 類語の使い分け.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.